Monday, October 5, 2015

Heavier

A psychologist walked around a room while teaching stress management to an audience. As she raised a glass of water, everyone expected they'd be asked the "half empty or half full" question. Instead, with a smile on her face, she asked: "How heavy is this glass of water?"  Some guessed 8 ounces... others 20 ounces... She replied, "The weight doesn't matter. It depends on how long I hold it. If I hold it for a minute, it's not a problem. If I hold it for an hour, I'll have an ache in my arm. If I hold it for a day, my arm will feel numb and paralyzed. In each case, the weight of the glass doesn't change, but the longer I hold it, the heavier it becomes."


Stress is the same way.  Hold it for a little while...no problem.  A little while longer...a little more weight.  All day?  A week?  It quickly becomes unbearable.  So how can we control the pressure on our lives?  Take Jesus up on what He offers in 1 Peter chapter 5  verse 7:  “Give all your worries and cares to God, for he cares about you.”  God wants us to turn to Him when times get tough... We weren’t created to carry the weight of the world... so today, let’s choose to trust in His strength and not our own.