Tuesday, October 25, 2016

You Had Help


I don’t know where you are this morning. Corner office... student desk... passenger seat of a delivery truck... or sitting in your home. I do know this:

You didn’t get there alone.

Along your life-journey, hundreds of people and tens of thousands of interactions with those people have led you to this spot on the map of your life. You’ve faced some high walls in your life... and those around you have boosted you over. You’ve fallen down in the face of adversity... and those around you have grabbed your hand and helped you back to your feet.

All of your successes? You’ve had help.
Opportunities? Provided by others.
Gifts? People have given you a place to use them.

As much as we want to think we’ve done it all ourselves... it simply isn’t true.

Now I can hear some of you out there saying... “Pastor, I’ve worked hard to be where I am... and I’ve actually overcome people pulling me down to get there... Everything I have, I’ve done on my own!”

With all due respect... that’s not true. You’ve had help... but not just from people...

Take a look at today’s verses:

“...be content with what you have because He has said, ‘I will never leave you; I will always be by your side.’ Because of this promise, we may boldly say,

‘The Lord is my help-
I won’t be afraid of anything.
How can anyone harm me?’” Hebrews 13:5b-6

“By the God of your father, who will come to your aid, by the All-Powerful One who will bless you with the blessings from heaven above...” Genesis 49:25a

[from David] “Don’t give up on me in anger at Your servant. You have always been there for me. Don’t throw me to the side and forget me, my God and only salvation. My father and mother have deserted me, yet the Eternal will take me in.” Psalm 28:9b-10

“After all, it is I, the Eternal One your God, who has hold of your right hand, Who whispers in your ear, ‘Don’t be afraid. I will help you.’” Isaiah 41:13


Everything we are, have, and can do is given to us by God. Your ability to remember names? From God. Your parenting skills? God. That incredible brain you have to store baseball stats and facts to pass the bar exam?

God.

He created you and He’s never left your side. When it’s been dark, He’s the One holding the candle. When you’ve been searching for that last test answer... He’s the One who made it “come to mind.” That person who stepped into your life that was the perfect fit? God sent them.

He is Who many call “luck”

He is the cause of our victories and the first one to hug us if we come in last.

He sees those tears rolling down our face and sends people our way to stand in the gap.

He is the reason you can do what you can do... where you can do it... at the level you’re doing it... and the receiver of the glory from it.

He is helper, provider, sustainer, healer, defender, and source of all that has ever been good in our lives. When we’re challenged, sometimes God steps in directly... and other times He uses people to help guide us through. When we come through the storm we need to be grateful for His umbrella.

Alex Haley, the author of "Roots," had an unusual picture hanging on his office wall. It was a picture of a turtle on top of a fence post. When asked, "Why is that there?" Alex Haley answered, "Every time I write something significant, every time I read my words & think that they are wonderful, and begin to feel proud of myself, I look at the turtle on top of the fence post & remember that he didn’t get there on his own. He had help.”

God put you on that fencepost you find yourself on this morning... regardless of your health or wealth... take a minute and thank Him for the view from up there. Even if we don’t think it’s a lot... He’s given us everything we need and everything we are... let’s spend our Friday remembering and giving thanks.