Wednesday, October 26, 2016

Choose

At Potential Church, we talk to so many people who are suffering.  Maybe they experience a dating breakup, a failed marital relationship, or just an overwhelming sense of failure or loss.  I turn to this scripture...

Psalm 34:18 “The Lord is near to the brokenhearted and saves the crushed in spirit.”

I love this verse.  Simply put, it says that when we hurt... God is there.  But lets look at it a little closer.   More specifically...the word “brokenhearted”.  Ever felt that way?   Have you ever had your heart broken?  Maybe she said I do... but really didn’t.  Maybe you risked it all... and lost it.  Perhaps you were abused, misused, or accused and it hurt.  You’ve cried all you can cry and now look skyward... desperately hoping for a sign from God that everything will be ok.  

Today’s verse is for you... the brokenhearted and crushed.  God is near.. He saves you from the pain.  This scripture doesn’t say that He’ll get to you... or that He’s thinking about you... it says He’s NEAR you.  Next to you.  With you.  His loving arm over your shoulder and His eyes filled with empathy and concern.  

But God is there for a reason... not just to comfort... but to strengthen you.  God wants to remind you that you weren’t created to suffer.   You weren’t knit together to be a victim.  You weren’t designed to be in pain forever.   So what can you do to feel better?  

Choose.

Walter Anderson writes, "I am responsible. Although I may not be able to prevent the worst from happening, I am responsible for my attitude toward the inevitable misfortunes that darken life. Bad things do happen; how I respond to them defines my character and the quality of my life. I can choose to sit in perpetual sadness, immobilized by the gravity of my loss, or I can choose to rise from the pain and treasure the most precious gift I have -- life itself."

Every day that our lungs take in air is a blessing.  Every new set of 24 hours is a fresh opportunity to begin the journey back.  If your heart hurts today... choose to give it to God.  Decide on joy over sadness.  Focus on counting blessings not burdens.  God will be there.  Always.  When you are wounded... He heals.  Remember, you are far too valuable to this world... don’t let your pain define, restrict, or outright stop you from accomplishing the destiny for which you were created.   

Find yourself in an emotional pit today? Allow God to strengthen and heal you... and then choose to begin the walk out of it.  You can do it.  I’ll be praying for you as you do.