Thursday, June 11, 2015

Doing Good

“As for you, brothers, do not grow weary in doing good.”  2 Thessalonians 3:13


In the book, Becoming a Contagious Christian, author and Pastor Bill Hybels talks about a letter he read.  It was written by a relatively new Christian to a person who had influenced her life.  Here’s the letter:

'You know when we met; I began to discover a new vulnerability, a warmth, and a lack of pretense that impressed me. I saw in you a thriving spirit--no signs of internal stagnation anywhere. I could tell you were a growing person and I liked that. I saw you had strong self-esteem, not based on the fluff of self-help books, but on something a whole lot deeper. I saw that you lived by convictions and priorities and not just by convenience, selfish pleasure, and financial gain. And I had never met anyone like that before. I felt a depth of love and concern as you listened to me and didn’t judge me. You tried to understand me, you sympathized and you celebrated with me, you demonstrated kindness and generosity--and not just to me, but to other people, as well. And you stood for something. You were willing to go against the grain of society and follow what you believed to be true, no matter what people said, and no matter how much it cost you. And for those reasons and a whole host of others, I found myself really wanting what you had. Now that I’ve become a Christian, I wanted to write to tell you I’m grateful beyond words for how you lived out your Christian life in front of me.'"

Wouldn’t you like to receive a letter like that?  So encouraging, honest, and specific... what a way to honor someone’s influence!  In the note, she mentioned kindness... certainly a trait that many desire both in their friends and in their own life.  

You would imagine that the relationship that started in that letter began with a kind act... a smile, maybe a handshake or hug...  Over time, the conversations got deeper and the recipient of that letter was given the opportunity to share Christ with its writer. As a result, the author of this note will spend eternity in Heaven!

All because of an initial act of kindness followed up with a multiple public examples of selflessness and generosity.  

People are watching... but what are we demonstrating with our own lives?

Being kind goes a long way.  It mends fences...starts lifelong friendships...changes the tones of a conversations...and can affect someone’s eternity forever.   So often, many spend their time trying to blend in and stay out of things.  Jesus teaches us to do the complete opposite... The Bible tells us to

Go the extra mile  (Matthew 5:41-42)
Give water to the thirsty (Mark 9:41)
Love your neighbor as yourself (Mark 12:31)
Take care of widows and orphans (James 1:27)

Each of these altruistic acts (and so many more) have their roots in simply acting like Christ.  When we remind ourselves that, like Him, we are servants... kindness becomes second nature.  


I want to challenge you today... stand out!  Be benevolent in unexpected circumstances!  Extend grace to the undeserving... allow yourself to be used by God to change the world one act of kindness at a time.  God will bless you for it!