Wednesday, May 27, 2015

Need?

"You say, ‘If I had a little more, I should be very satisfied.’ You make a mistake. If you are not content with what you have, you would not be satisfied if it were doubled."

Is this true?  Wouldn’t more be better?  How much is enough?  Where does it stop?

I think the Apostle Paul had it figured out in Philippians 4:12-13 “I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want. I can do all this through him who gives me strength.” [emphasis mine]

What’s the secret to contentment?  It’s focus.  In today’s verse, Paul says that we have so much in Jesus!  God promises in His word that He will provide for our needs... and He knows what we truly need even when we lose sight of what that is.  

All too often, we focus on what we don’t have.  We convince ourselves that we NEED this or NEED that when in fact, it is just something that we feel like we’ve earned or deserve.  Isn’t it true that when we get what we think we “need”, the happiness is temporary...fleeting...and we are quickly looking for the next object to bring us temporary peace.  


Fact is, you’ll never be able to afford contentment.  It will always be “just one more thing” away.   Seek God.  Count on Him to meet your needs... He will always provide enough, be enough, give enough, and love enough.  He is all we need.  To quote the great A.W. Tozer, "The man who has God for his treasure has all things in One,"