Monday, May 25, 2015

I Do

“But Ruth replied, “Don’t urge me to leave you or to turn back from you. Where you go I will go, and where you stay I will stay. Your people will be my people and your God my God.  Where you die I will die, and there I will be buried. May the LORD deal with me, be it ever so severely, if even death separates you and me.”  When Naomi realized that Ruth was determined to go with her, she stopped urging her.”  Ruth 1:16-18

In John Maxwell’s book, Be a People Person,  he spells out the importance of true commitment... “Until I am committed, there is a hesitancy, a chance to draw back. But the moment I definitely commit myself, then God moves also, and a whole stream of events erupt. All manner of unforeseen incidents, meetings, persons, and material assistance which I could never have dreamed would come my way begin to flow toward me—the moment I make a commitment”

I think what he’s saying is... until you say “I Do” ... you are only saying “I might” or “I’d like to” or even “I probably won’t.”  When we fully jump in... God moves in our lives.  

Today we're talking about real commitment.  “All In” commitment.  The kind that Ruth promised in today’s passage.  Look at the degree in which Ruth vows to stay connected to Naomi... “Your people will be my people... your God my God”  Ruth was saying.... I Do.  I’m all yours.  Every part of me is signing on to the relationship.  Ruth said “I will stand beside you no matter what!”

Is that your relationship with God?  Have you said “I Do” to what God wants for your life?  What’s getting in the way of giving God your all?

It’s my prayer today that we would follow Christ wish a Ruth-level of commitment.  This starts with giving everything we understand about ourselves to everything we understand about God.  No holding back.  


Are you ready to commit to God’s direction?   Do you have Ruth-like determination to give God your all?  Let me know in the comments below.