Tuesday, November 1, 2016

What is Filing Your Heart?

Speaking to a large audience, D.L. Moody held up a glass and asked, "How can I get the air out of this glass?" One man shouted, "Suck it out with a pump!" Moody replied, "That would create a vacuum and shatter the glass." 

How would you do it?  What would it take to get all the air permanently out of the glass?Vacuum?  Cover the top with your hand?    What if I told you that the air in that glass represents the fear in your life...  How would you get it out?  

If you’re like most people... avoidance.  When something makes them scared...they run.  Tough conversations?  Sharing Jesus?  They can’t.  They’re fearful of rejection.  Get that cough checked out by a doctor?  Not them.  What if it’s something life-threatening?

If avoidance doesn’t work for fear....there’s always denial.  People ask them how things are going...  They’ll just tell them the obligatory “fine”.  Scared to go home because of the verbal abuse from an angry spouse?  They’ll just tell the world “I brought it on myself... I deserve it”

If the first two don’t remove the fear... the last resort... worry.  Fretting, sweating, crying, pleading, and begging.  Surely one of these will make them fear less... right?  If they just keep chewing on it and losing sleep... God will notice and make things different won’t He? 

Let’s find out how D.L. Moody removed the air from the glass...

After numerous other suggestions Moody smiled, picked up a pitcher of water, and filled the glass. "There," he said, "all the air is now removed."   He knew it wasn’t what needed to come out... but what needed to be put in.  

If you are scared today... it isn’t about avoiding, denying, or worrying.   Removing the bad in your life isn’t the plan.  Promising not to sin... making deals with God... running and hiding in the darkness... avoiding the uncomfortable... All ineffective tactics.  None of these get the air out.  No matter how hard you try, there will be things in your life that will scare you.  Fear happens.

Remember, it’s not what needs to come out of your life.  It’s what needs to be put in.
For the next couple of minutes I want you to try something.   Think about your heart like the glass in the story above... full of worry, doubt, and especially... fear. 

I’ve copied some of my favorite verses about how God sees and deals with fear below.  Read each of them... several times if you want to...  and as you do, allow God to fill your heart with their meaning.  Visualize the fear leaving and these promises taking their place...

“Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be frightened, and do not be dismayed, for the Lord your God is with you wherever you go.”  Joshua 1:9

“There is no fear in love, but perfect love casts out fear. For fear has to do with punishment, and whoever fears has not been perfected in love.”  1 John 4:18

“So we can confidently say, “The Lord is my helper; I will not fear; what can man do to me?”  Hebrews 13:6

“Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me.”  Psalm 23:4

“Of David. The Lord is my light and my salvation; whom shall I fear? The Lord is the stronghold of my life; of whom shall I be afraid?”  Psalm 27:1

“It is the Lord who goes before you. He will be with you; he will not leave you or forsake you. Do not fear or be dismayed.”  Deuteronomy 31:8


These verses were written for you.  Claim them.


Stop trying to run from or remove what scares you.  Instead, stand boldly on these verses and allow Him to replace paralyzing fear with His comforting presence.  I’ll be praying for you as you do.