Thursday, March 24, 2016

Easter Week - Thursday

The plan was now in place and Jesus knew it.  Thursday was here.... you may hear it called Maundy Thursday... and the last time all of the disciples would be together in one place had come.  Jesus begins preparation for the Passover feast...

“Now on the first day of Unleavened Bread the disciples came to Jesus, saying,
“Where will you have us prepare for you to eat the Passover?”
He said,
“Go into the city to a certain man and say to him,
‘The Teacher says,
My time is at hand. I will keep the Passover at your house with my disciples.’”
And the disciples did as Jesus had directed them, and they prepared the Passover.”  Matthew 26: 17-19

When it was evening, he reclined at table with the twelve. And as they were eating, he said, “Truly, I say to you, one of you will betray me.”

And they were very sorrowful and began to say to him one after another,

“Is it I, Lord?”

He answered,
“He who has dipped his hand in the dish with me will betray me. The Son of Man goes as it is written of him, but woe to that man by whom the Son of Man is betrayed! It would have been better for that man if he had not been born.”

Judas, who would betray him, answered,
“Is it I, Rabbi?”

He said to him,
“You have said so.”

Now as they were eating, Jesus took bread, and after blessing it broke it and gave it to the disciples, and said,

“Take, eat; this is my body.”

And he took a cup, and when he had given thanks he gave it to them, saying,

“Drink of it, all of you, for this is my blood of the covenant, which is poured out for many for the forgiveness of sins. I tell you I will not drink again of this fruit of the vine until that day when I drink it new with you in my Father’s kingdom.”  Matthew 26:20-29


This new covenant between God and Man... shed blood for the forgiveness of sin..  in the next few days, these men that Jesus ate with would see it firsthand.  A new plan was coming...a high price would be paid...and the world would change forever.  

Jesus then washes the feet of his disciples in John 13:1-17:26... demonstrating to them what a true servant does.  He commands them to do likewise...they sing a hymn together (Matthew 26:30)... and Jesus heads to the Mount of Olives to await His destiny.  Judas’ plan was in motion and their two very different paths would collide in the hours that followed.

Before Jesus faced His captors, He wanted to confront Peter with his future...

“And Jesus said to them, ‘You will all fall away, for it is written,
‘I will strike the shepherd, and the sheep will be scattered.’
But after I am raised up, I will go before you to Galilee.”
Peter said to him,
“Even though they all fall away, I will not.”
And Jesus said to him,
“Truly, I tell you, this very night, before the rooster crows twice, you will deny me three times.”
But he said emphatically,
“If I must die with you, I will not deny you.”
And they all said the same.”  -  Mark 14:27-31

It’s interesting that the disciples all thought Jesus was wrong.  They would NEVER deny their Creator!  They would stand boldly in the face of authority and proclaim association with the One who hung the stars and walked on the water.

If only that were true.

In fact, some of His disciples would fail Jesus on their very first assignment.  He asked them to stay up and pray with Him...

“And when he came to the place, he said to them,
“Pray that you may not enter into temptation.”
And he withdrew from them about a stone’s throw, and knelt down and prayed, saying,
“Father, if you are willing, remove this cup from me. Nevertheless, not my will, but yours, be done.”
And there appeared to him an angel from heaven, strengthening him. And being in an agony he prayed more earnestly; and his sweat became like great drops of blood falling down to the ground.
And when he rose from prayer, he came to the disciples and found them sleeping for sorrow, and he said to them,
“Why are you sleeping? Rise and pray that you may not enter into temptation.”  - Luke 22:40-46


From a last meal together.. to a warning.. to a letdown.  Jesus had been through so much already in His final pre-resurrection week on Earth.  The time was coming for the beginning of the end... capture and crucifixion awaited Him.  I love what He says in that last passage... faced with impending torture, Jesus tells His Father... “Nevertheless, not my will, but yours, be done.”

Jesus was fulfilling His destiny... He was willingly turning over His life...He was purposefully going to the cross.

For us.  

Take some time to prepare your heart today as Easter approaches… fast, pray, and commit to serving and sacrificing for others.  And when you finish… pray the same prayer to God that Jesus did… that His will…and not your own… would be done.  When said with a genuine heart, this prayer can change your life.