Tuesday, January 12, 2016

Sneaky

I cheat you of your God-given destiny... because you demand your own way.  I cheat you of contentment... because you deserve better than this.  I cheat you of knowledge because you already know it all.  I cheat you of healing... because you are too full of you to forgive.  I cheat you of vision... because you’d rather look in the mirror than out a window.  I cheat you of genuine friendship... because nobody’s going to know the real you.  What am I?  I am pride... and I will cheat you every time.


These sentiments from a poem by Beth Moore paint a bleak but accurate picture of pride in our lives.  It’s a silent and sneaky poison... and many don’t realize that it has taken over their hearts.    In Proverbs 16:18, we read that it is pride that causes destruction and causes people to fall!  The antidote to this poison?   Selflessness.  Jesus modeled it... and wants us all to remember that we are here to serve, love, give to, and lift up those around us.  When we’re doing those things, pride loses it’s grip on our heart and we become a more Godly example to others.