Sunday, November 24, 2013

The Neck

A father was talking with his 8 year old daughter... “Daddy, who do you work for?”  The father replied “Myself!  I’m my own boss!”   The little girl replied “You’re the boss?”  The man said confidently “Yes, I’m the head of my company and I’m the head of this house!”  After a minute or two, the girl looked up at her daddy and said, “That might be true... you might be the head of this house... but I think mommy is the neck of the house... and she can turn the head wherever she wants it to go!”

All of us answer to someone.  A wife, a husband, a boss, a teacher, or a parent.  And just when we think we are in charge, we often get reminded that we aren’t.   Scripture tells us that no matter where we are in life... no matter what rung of the ladder we find ourselves on... that all of us ultimately need the same reminder.  God is in charge.  In Romans 14, God says that “... every knee will bend to me, and every tongue will confess and give praise.”   We don’t have to run the world.  In fact, we aren’t supposed to.  We have a God in heaven who has things firmly under control... And while He loves us with all of His heart, He doesn’t require a co-manager.   Ambition to lead is good... but when your version of the world is driven by a desire to control it... stop and remember who created you.  He’s the only One with that ability.