Friday, October 27, 2017

The Rescue


The lobster who was bound for eventual death was spared.

When I read that story, it reminded me that all of us are a lot like that lobster.  We are born into a broken world where one day we will run out of heartbeats.  We sit hoping that someone will intervene and allow us to live a life of freedom...a life where we are unbound and able to become who we were created to be.  Not held to a small tank... but released to a boundless ocean of possibilities, strength, and hope. 

If you’re reading this today... I have good news for you.  You are free.  Truly free.  Not because of anything you’ve done, said, or logically figured out.   Your rescuer?  Jesus Christ.  He willingly sacrificed Himself on the cross over two thousand years ago so you don’t have to spend your life scared of the future...staring through the glass of life worrying about your eventual fate.   When you enter into a relationship with Him you are released from the bounds of infinite separation from God and ushered into a family that lives together eternally with Christ in Heaven.    

Think about that a minute... we have nothing to offer Christ but He rescues us anyway.  Scripture puts it this way in Psalm 8:4 “what are mere mortals that you should think about them, human beings that you should care for them?”  David asks the big question... who are we that God Himself would come down to save us?   But then we read John’s beloved explanation in verse 16 of the third chapter... “For this is how God loved the world: He gave his one and only Son, so that everyone who believes in him will not perish but have eternal life.”

If you’re looking for an explanation as to why God would go through all the trouble to save us... it’s simple. 

Love.

He loves you so much that you were worth the sacrifice of His Son on your behalf.
He loves you so much that He gave up His perfect child for an imperfect you.
He loves you so much that He would rather lose Jesus than spend forever separated from you. 


You are worth infinitely more than a lobster in a tank.  Your life has a purpose... it has meaning... and the One who started your heart beating wants you to live a life free of the fear of “what if.”  Do you have a relationship with Jesus Christ?  If so, live like it.  Head up... shoulders back... stand boldly for Him and share your faith with others.  If not, I encourage you to make today the day you break free.  Read the prayer below and commit your life to Him.  It is the most important (and liberating) decision you’ll ever make.  The words you say aren’t as important as the condition of your heart as you meditate on and repeat the passage below:

Jesus... I admit that I’m a sinner.  I make mistakes and I realize that I can’t do life alone.  Please come into my heart... lead me... guide me... and become the Lord, Master, the CEO of my life.  I believe that you came to earth, died on the cross for my sins, and resurrected three days later so that anyone who believes can spend forever with you.  Today, I commit everything I understand about myself to everything I understand about You.   Thank you for loving me the way you do... and thank you for salvaging me... saving me... and making it possible for me to be truly free and live eternally.  In Jesus name, Amen. 

If you prayed that prayer above... welcome to the family.  You’ll never make a better choice.  I pray that your first steps with Christ will grow into a lifetime of seeking Him in all things.  Blessings to you today and always!