Monday, August 21, 2017

Missed It?

Have you ever missed an opportunity?  Kicked yourself for letting something (or someone) get by you?  Done something that ruined a chance to move forward or be rewarded?  If so, you aren’t alone.  Let’s take a look at one example from scripture... this one from Moses:

“In the first month of the year, the whole community of Israel arrived in the wilderness of Zin and camped at Kadesh. While they were there, Miriam died and was buried.
There was no water for the people to drink at that place, so they rebelled against Moses and Aaron. The people blamed Moses and said, “If only we had died in the Lord’s presence with our brothers!  Why have you brought the congregation of the Lord’s people into this wilderness to die, along with all our livestock?  Why did you make us leave Egypt and bring us here to this terrible place? This land has no grain, no figs, no grapes, no pomegranates, and no water to drink!”

Moses and Aaron turned away from the people and went to the entrance of the Tabernacle, where they fell face down on the ground. Then the glorious presence of the Lord appeared to them, and the Lord said to Moses, “You and Aaron must take the staff and assemble the entire community. As the people watch, speak to the rock over there, and it will pour out its water. You will provide enough water from the rock to satisfy the whole community and their livestock.”

   So Moses did as he was told. He took the staff from the place where it was kept before the Lord.  Then he and Aaron summoned the people to come and gather at the rock. “Listen, you rebels!” he shouted. “Must we bring you water from this rock?”  Then Moses raised his hand and struck the rock twice with the staff, and water gushed out. So the entire community and their livestock drank their fill.
But the Lord said to Moses and Aaron, “Because you did not trust me enough to demonstrate my holiness to the people of Israel, you will not lead them into the land I am giving them!”  This place was known as the waters of Meribah (which means “arguing”) because there the people of Israel argued with the Lord, and there he demonstrated his holiness among them.”  Numbers 20: 1-13

God wanted Moses to speak to the rock to produce water...

Moses struck it.

Game over.  Moses would never see the land that God had promised.  Opportunity missed.  Never to return. 

Unfair?  Many might think so.  After all, wasn’t the result the same?  Yes, water did pour from the stone... but the end doesn’t justify the means.  Moses blew it... and as a result would miss out on what he had dreamt about for 40 years... the promised land.

A textbook case of disobedience to God.   Moses was told something... had the opportunity to obey and follow through... and chose to do what HE wanted instead.  He  wasn’t the victim of circumstance... or had bad luck... or in the wrong place at the wrong time...  He CHOSE to disobey.  And because of that choice, he lost the opportunity for God to do something truly special through him.  

Do we do the same thing?  Do missed opportunities happen because we aren’t prepared or don’t do what we know we should?   Let’s look at a few scenarios:

What if I meet a man/woman?... What are my standards?  What will I do or not do that will honor God?

If someone I met today asked me how to have a relationship with Jesus... would I be able to explain it clearly?  

What does God want me to do in my family?  Have I shared Christ with all of them (even those hostile to the very thought of “religion”?)

Am I taking care of myself physically so that I can be fit enough to help people in and through my retirement years?  

Do I continually read, study, and grow by studying God’s Word?  What if I am in trouble... will I even know what God wants me to do?  

People pass away, circumstances change, aging happens, spiritual lives grow stagnant... and ultimately...  opportunities are missed forever.   But it doesn’t have to be that way for you.

Here’s are a few quick things I ask myself when figuring out how to not miss an opportunity:

  1. Is this something God wants me to do or is it something that I want to do.  God’s requirements always take precedent over my own.  If it is something God wants me to do... I move to step 2.

  1. What is God asking of me?   Is it clear what my objectives are?  Do I know what He requires?  I do this through prayer, the counsel of very close Christian friends/family, and my own understanding of scripture.  

  1. What do I need to change, give-up, alter, put on hold, or sacrifice in order to do what  He’s asking me to do?  Am I willing to pay the price that obedience requires?

I find that when I run life through this filter, I am able to better seize opportunity and be obedient to God in the process.  I pray that today, when a chance to honor God comes, you will be able to do so.  Regret hurts... guilt lingers... disappointment will swallow you up.  

But those things are preventable.  


Live life... don’t just react to it.  Look for chances to let God shine through you.  Stay in tune to His nudges... and before long you will yourself blessed beyond belief and an expert in making the most of every chance.