Wednesday, January 25, 2017

Missed Shots

Michael Jordan once said “ I've missed more than 9000 shots in my career. I've lost almost 300 games. 26 times, I've been trusted to take the game winning shot and missed. I've failed over and over and over again in my life. And that is why I succeed.”

Has that ever happened to you?  You’ve dropped the ball when someone asked you to carry it.  You’ve missed a shot... Perhaps you feel the sting of failure as a parent... a husband... a wife... a student... or even as a child of God.   You’ve wanted to give up and quit... you’ve wanted to walk away... and you’ve wondered if God knew you were going through any of it.  Today’s verse is just for you. 


God’s word says that we are to run the race of life “with endurance.”  We are to be strong...steadfast...and determined.  Being sure all the while to keep our eyes on He who never failed... Jesus Christ.  Michael Jordan may have missed some baskets, but he wasn’t a failure.  You’ve missed a few things too... but I would define you in the same way.   You aren’t a failure.  People are counting on you to stay on your feet and keep at it.  The race God has for you is specifically yours... your lane... your time.  Run with faith.  Go at it with your head up, your eyes on God, and the thought of permanent failure banned from your vocabulary.  Will you slip up?  Sure.  Learn from it.  Fail forward.  God trusts you with your mission... He has given you potential... live boldly!