Friday, June 10, 2016

Taking the Test

Are you a good test taker?  When I was in school I always felt a lot of anxiety before an exam.  Was I ready?  Had I studied the right things?  Was the teacher going to try and trick me with a question?  I’ll never forget my first college exam in Arkansas.  I don’t remember the specific class but I remember the way I felt as the professor slid the test onto my desk.  I did what many college freshmen do.  Instead of giving it a complete once-over, I tore into the questions trying desperately to just get through it.  I figured the faster I took the test the less chance I had of forgetting the precious data that I had been cramming in to my brain.

Ever felt that way?  Work fast and get through it?    

I hadn’t thought about that time in my life until I ran across this article about an exam given to Pastor Charles Stanley…

“One of my more memorable seminary professors had a practical way of illustrating to his students the concept of grace. At the end of his evangelism course he would distribute the exam with the caution to read it all the way through before beginning to answer it. This caution was written on the exam as well. As we read the test, it became unquestionably clear to each of us that we had not studied nearly enough. The further we read, the worse it became. About halfway through, audible groans could be heard through out the lecture hall. On the last page, however, was a note that read, "You have a choice. You can either complete the exam as given or sign your name at the bottom and in so doing receive an A for this assignment."

Charles goes on to describe the many different types of reactions that those instructions received... 

  • Some worked through the whole test...never reading the comment at the end. They toiled for nothing... never realizing what could have been.
  • Others read the first two pages, got angry because it was so hard, and turned the test in blank...storming out of the room.  
  • Still others would read the comment at the end and take the test anyway.  They claimed they didn’t want any “free gifts”.  Most scored around a “C”

These test takers are a great illustration of God’s grace and our sin.  Here’s how the Bible addresses it:

Romans 3:21-24  
“But now God has shown us a way to be made right with him without keeping the requirements of the law, as was promised in the writings of Moses and the prophets long ago. We are made right with God by placing our faith in Jesus Christ. And this is true for everyone who believes, no matter who we are.  For everyone has sinned; we all fall short of God’s glorious standard. Yet God, with undeserved kindness, declares that we are righteous. He did this through Christ Jesus when he freed us from the penalty for our sins.”

Let’s look at those test groups again...

The first group never bothered to read it...  and so many today miss the message as well.  It doesn’t make them bad people... it just means they miss out on what God wanted for their lives.  They live trapped in their sin... never knowing the freedom that understanding and embracing God’s grace can bring.

The second group...the angry ones... remind me of those that hear about God...learn His expectations... and never feel like they could ever live up to them.  They think:  Why bother?  How can a person be forgiven when they’ve done what I did?   They feel underprepared, unworthy, and disqualify themselves... never stopping to read verses like the one above.  When life gets hard...they quit on themselves before ever realizing that all God is asking for is a repentant heart and a willingness to turn to Him... to ask Him to forgive... to accept His grace...  to find salvation in Him by giving everything they understand about themselves to everything they understand about Him.  

The third group..those that knew of the requirements for the “A” but still took the test...  are those that know that grace is given freely by God... yet still try to earn it.  The professor said to sign your name for an “A”.  No catch.  No condition.  God says the same thing to us... believe in me, call on my name, ask for absolution, and receive it.  No catch.  No condition.  You can’t earn grace.  You can’t earn forgiveness.  You can’t earn righteous status with God.   Why?  Because you don’t have to.  He gives it willingly to those that know Him as Savior.  

Still breathing?  You qualify.  Still feeling guilty about the past?  Accept Him as Lord and bask in His limitless grace.   Wondering how He can forgive you?  He can...and will.  You aren’t irreparably broken.  You aren’t beyond hope.  God’s grace is yours if you want it.... 

Admit that you sin and miss the mark 
Allow Jesus into your heart to be your Lord and Savior.
Ask for His forgiveness. 

Accept His grace.

Ready to sign your name for one of the “A”s on this list?  You’ll never make a more important decision.